Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Cold skin

last night at work I noticed an asian man pacing up and down the corridor. I looked up his name on the board and it turned out he is vietnamese. He name is LMH who is apparently doesn't know where is or was before. He seems to lost his mind over insanity. He has been homeless for last 6 months. He sleeps from corner to corner around china town and ate whatever he could get to. I spoke to him in our mother language. He did not talk much. Most of the times he made incomprehensive words or sound. I felt useless. I took him out side for a cigarette as he asked. As we walked back inside the building, i asked him want some food. He shook his head signaling " no". He turned to me and said something about being dirty. He mentioned several names and asked me whether or not i know any one of them. I did not. i felt terrible. Suddenlty he knee down on the floor and pulled out from his right sock a piece of paper . i was hoping he got some number which i could call for help. He handed it over to me and told me unfold and read it. It said " i i i i kisss meeting nice hello". I read it over and over try to make sense what he wrote. I asked him what it meant? He did not answer. I still looked at him sincerely waiting for some response. Finally he withdraw from me and paced away. The last word he said was " da lanh". Somehow I felt ashamed of myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger madabandon said...

I don't know what "la danh" means but I do know that you were kind and tried to help him, and I admire that.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home